Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Emily's State Interpreting Certification Test

On February 7th, I (Emily) went up to Richmond to take my Virginia Quality Assurance Screening (VQAS) test. As you may remember, last May I went to take the written part of the exam. On the 7th, I took the signed portion. After an interpreter finishes their signed portion of the test, they will receive an interpreting level. There are four levels of VQAS; Level 1 holds a minimum of 50% correct, Level 2 holds a minimum of 65% correct, Level 3 holds a minimum of 80% correct, and Level 4 (which only two people have) holds a minimum of 95% correct. There are two different parts - ASL Interpreting and Transliterating, each of these having three categories under them; ASL-to-English, English-to-ASL, and Interactive. The raters grade you on your lowest grade. For example, if I received 80%, 65%, and 65% my grade would be 65% or Level 2.

The test went fairly well. :) I felt more confident because I have been practicing and interpreting for a Deaf friend at church every Sabbath for the past two months. My professions have encouraged me to go for it... and the way I look at it, this was a learning experience either way!

I will receive my grade in approximately 90 days... Please pray for me and that I may give God the glory no matter what... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you did great Em - you're really talented with signing - tell me when you get your grade!!