Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembrance...

As a military brat, our nation and the concept of freedom has been taught to me since an early age. At age 2 I was extremely proud to wear the Navy sailor hat! In fact, it was the only hat I would wear. My first "What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up" assignment in kindergarten returned with a little picture of a military girl, with pigtails of course, and on it I had "Engineer in the SeaBees!" I'm sure I had no idea what an engineer did, but I knew my dad was the Chaplain of the SeaBees at the time and I knew they built things to protect America. So I wanted to be part of it! As I grew older, dress up didn't consist of wearing "princesses dresses" or playing house, rather my brother and I would get in our "uniforms," and play military warfare, with strategic plans. By middle school, I was able to confidently beat my brother and his best friend at Axes and Allies, note rank of enlisted/officer in most military branches, and would walk up to military Vets and thank them for their service. I could talk wars, military branches, ships, I knew my "stuff."

Although my childhood consisted of much knowledge and adventures related to the military, I didn't truly understand sacrifice until I was a little older. I remember being ten years old and attending Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) over Memorial Day and meeting families of loved ones who had died. Seeing children and adults grieving for their military hero was a new experience for me... I wasn't sure what to think about it.

September 11th, 2001 I was asleep, when I awoke to the phone ringing. I heard my dad answer it and knew by the sound of his voice that it was one of my aunts. Then I heard his feet on the stairs...he was running. It was still early in San Diego and I wasn't fully awake when I heard him say, "Emmy...Deej... Wake up and come here!" We came and as I entered the room I saw on our little TV the Twin Towers. I remember every detail of my thoughts as I sat at the television. My thoughts were like a running commentary on what I was watching, "Is this real? What is happening? What are the Twin Towers? Will the Tower stand....then, oh my goodness, another plane! I can't imagine what the people are feeling?" My thoughts continued on... but then I started to remember TAPS and realized just how many people would be effected by this. As the Towers fell, my heart broke...even still hearing or watching anything from that day gives me chills. I had to interpret something about September 11th this past week. It's so real for those of us who remember...

The next time I attended TAPS we were at war. I was a young 15-year-old. My best friends and I were excited to be in Washington DC during such a patriotic time! My "Grandmother" had made some blankets and we were handing them out to loved ones. My favorite blanket was a pink and blue. We had prayed over the blankets asking God to give these blankets to just the right people. Laurel and I were helping in the office with attendance for the children, some of whom were orphaned from 9/11 or the war. As we were returning to meet up with everyone else in the group, I saw my favorite blanket made by my Grandmother in the hands of a couple. They were stroking the blanket as they walked. Laurel and I went up to them and introduced ourselves and we complimented them on the blanket, and they began sharing with us about Cody.

Cody Wentz was a 21 year old soldier in the Army National Guard from Williston, North Dakota. He died in Iraq when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated near his military vehicle during a patrol. He died November 4th, 2004. Their pain was so fresh and they both cried as they shared about their son. Then Kenny, Cody's dad smiled at me and said the blanket was perfect. We asked why the blanket was so perfect... they both looked at each other and smiled, then Joyce, Cody's mom pointed to the pink and said, "Cody's favorite color is pink. When we saw the blankets, we saw so many patriotic blankets...but then I saw this one and instantly saw Cody in it." Hearing that, I knew the blanket had gone to just the right family.

As the weekend went on, I spent much time with the Wentz family. Finally one night after a rather emotional day, Laurel, Paige, and I burst into tears...it was like we finally understood the price of freedom and just the sacrifice many have made or our freedom. Even though I grew up in the military, I think this was the first time it really struck home... I wore a blue band around my wrist for the next two years that said "Honor the Fallen," until I gave it to Kenny the last time I saw them at TAPS... but it reminded me to be thankful for my freedom and to never forget the sacrifice.... it really put my life into perspective. Now on Memorial Day, September 11th, and November 4th I wear the picture button of Cody Wentz. On other days, I have his picture in my room, where I see it daily. He died for my freedom...his sacrifice and the sacrifice of many others should be remembered I don't think I'll ever forget Cody or the Wentz family. Cody's my forever hero.

So now, on this 10-year anniversary of September 11th, there is so much to remember. It's not just another day, it's not just a typical weekend to go out and party, it's a day to remember and honor the fallen. Remember the fallen - the first responders, the victims in the Towers, on the planes, and in the Pentagon, the soldiers who sacrificed their lives, the surviving families and friends who remember their loved one, the children who were orphaned, and the military men and women who continue to sacrifice today for our freedom.

No comments: